- Job Summary
The Senior Engineer manages work in engineering areas of specialization, with minimal supervision. The Senior Engineer is expected to develop advanced skills and to have the ability to work independently, with guidance limited to unusual or complex projects or issues. Employees in the Senior Engineer position are fully competent in the use of concepts and procedures. The Senior Engineer identifies problems, develops solutions and takes action to resolve. This position is within the SCADA Engineering Department, which designs and supports the supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems for solar and wind facilities, supporting development, construction, and operational projects and ensuring adherence to business and regulatory requirements.
- Provides engineering/technical expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems of increasing scope and complexity in both inside as well as outside the scope of typical responsibility.
- Ensures accomplishment of business goals and objectives through effective planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of work activities; decisions may affect the operations or results of the work group and may have some impact on major projects or department results.
- Prepares thorough and accurate technical reports, correspondence, documentation, calculations and sketches related to defined problems and analysis of increasing scope and complexity.
- Conducts engineering and related studies; completes non-routine engineering projects with minimal oversight with the ability to independently manage project schedules and interfaces; competent to design, operate and maintain systems with moderate impact on existing systems.
- Possesses and applies the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures; proficient in technical and analytical competencies necessary to handle assignments of increasing complexity.
- Develops positive working relationships to effectively coordinate work activities. Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills. Maintains accurate records and files.
- Supports the company's goals and represents the company positively and professionally
- Design, commission, maintain, troubleshoot, and integrate numerous SCADA systems.
- Contribute to the design, architectural, network, and infrastructure requirements for SCADA systems.
- Design, deploy, and test control systems for newly constructed sites, ensuring compliance with interconnection and NERC requirements.
- Design data interfaces involving software products, generator control systems, SCADA systems, and discrete devices such as RTUs and data historians using various protocols.
- Configure controllers, protection relays, and network switches for deployment.
- Program and commission automation equipment to control and support automatic transfer schemes, grid control (e.g. voltage, frequency support), and site control.
- Integrate new instrumentation into existing SCADA systems.
- Retrofit aging SCADA systems with more robust, standardized solutions.
- Document the resolutions of technical problems with sufficient detail and clarity.
- Manage and support SCADA overlay with vendor assistance.
- Troubleshoot all site and central monitoring SCADA issues, emphasizing rapid restoration of service.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited program. A masters degree in engineering will be accepted in lieu of a Bachelor's degree of engineering.
- In addition to required degree, 6 plus years related work experience
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- In addition to desired degree, 6 plus years related work experience
- Professional Engineer (PE)
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Proficient in engineering theories and principles
- Proficient in practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations, and preparing and presenting recommendations,
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in principles of project management
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
- Experience in the utility industry