$140,000.00 - $240,000.00
713 609 9066
about 1 year ago
The Engineering Director is responsible for all engineering and interface aspects of the Joint Venture to deliver a portfolio of complete offshore wind farms safely, on time, on budget. This requires ensuring the required specifications are met, focusing on minimizing the levelized cost of energy (LCOE) of the asset). He/she takes an integrated view of the portfolio and forges strong links between all internal and external technical stakeholders to ensure a consistent and coordinated approach at every stage of each project. The Engineering Director is also responsible for leading a cooperative, motivated and successful team, ensuring that the portfolio is effectively resourced, and resources are allocated and utilized in an efficient manner. He/she is responsible to coordinate engineering resources to mitigate all risks from the beginning of Development to FID. Review the Project Development Plan concept and study of configuration alternatives for possible implementation within the constrains of the schedule. Ensure design definition (“Concept Select”) is completed in time for Sponsors’ and COP approval.Identify and pursue cost beneficial design optimisations on the selected concept, taking the necessary actions to challenge Sponsors’ standards and practices where cost savings can be implemented without lsoss of safety and integrity in the design. Ensure that the design studies and contracts realise the highest feasible technical quality of design whilst maintaining contract schedule and budget and maximizing cost effectiveness (LoCE). To coordinate, guide, and direct engineering activities for all facilities for evaluation of configuration and layout alternatives through to detailed design and material procurement. Work collaboratively as part of the Management Team to reach the project objectives as set by the Board of Directors (good to include these objectives and be more specific). He/She will be responsible for project objectives and resources across the Technical Design function. They will Implement, own, and manage a secure robust change and interface management
- Work collaboratively as part of the Management Team to reach the project objectives as set by the Board of Directors.
- Be responsible for project objectives and resources across the Technical Design function
- Implement, own, and manage a secure robust change and interface management
- Accountable for the activities and results of the Engineering Team function, including:
- Engineering management and input into site characterization (incl. wind & energy assessment, geotechnical and Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) studies, as well as Meteorology & Oceanology (MetOcean) studies.
- Technical design activities of the offshore wind farm(s), including engineering studies for site layout, foundations, and electrical infrastructure (WTG to grid connection).
- Provide support to Delivery Director and Package Management for development and implementation of scope and project execution strategy and planning.
- Collecting and analysing all remarks and suggestions on technical design made by other contributors (such as commercial, development, legal or operational functions), in particular to ensure that operator’s input to design be properly considered
- Providing design input to the Delivery function in order to define technical input into the project’s sourcing/partnering/contracting strategy
- Providing other functions with engineering support as needed (such as the Delivery function with technical specifications for use in the tendering process, or the Permitting & Development or Communications functions with technical documentation, and the Finance function for business case updates)
- Identifying/mitigating the technical design risks in the current and subsequent phases
- Provides input to the Delivery Director to support contractual strategy for the installation & construction phase together with the Commercial function, by contributing technical specifications to the RFP process, by providing input to the technical qualification process for each work package (depending on the strategy), and by providing input to the business model (CAPEX, OPEX, timeline) with as objective to confirm the offer as submitted
- Advising [EA2] on the technical aspects of the grid connection of the wind farm
- Project services, including development of Planning, Risk, Cost and schedule
- Preparation of all installation & construction & operation activities in the wind farm, including identifying and establishing contracts for Capex and Opex port facilities.
- Delivery of the offshore wind farm, including package management of Wind Turbine Generators (WTG), foundations, electrical infrastructure (inter-array cables, substation(s), offshore and onshore transmission including grid connection.
- Coordinates with Engineering Director to implement design input into contractual strategy for the installation & construction & operation phase. Supports the Commercial function by contributing technical specifications to the RFP process, by participating in the preferred bidder’s selection for each work package (depending on the strategy), and by providing input to the business model (CAPEX, OPEX, timeline).
- Identifying/mitigating the technical risks in the current and subsequent phases.
- Secure the delivery* & technical scope of the project complies with internal and external HSE requirements and take proactive actions to reduce safety risks, focusing on the full life cycle of the asset
- Advising on the technical aspects of the grid connection of the wind farm
- Member of the Management Team and reporting to the Project Director/CEO
- Be accountable for ensuring that the Engineering Team function has the required capabilities, skills and capacity to deliver on its objectives, on time and on budget, in particular for establishing (jointly with the Commercial function) a sourcing strategy for the Engineering Team (clarifying what expertise should be hired or developed onboard versus what services should be sourced from shareholders, existing partners or other external, specialised service providers, including an owner’s engineer if needed), and for actually sourcing and monitoring these external contractors (in close link to the Purchasing function)
- Team management, performance management and people development of all Engineering Team staff. This includes G&G, GIS, EA and Metocean, and discipline engineering such as electrical, structural, civil etc.
- Ensure technical matters are in accordance with legislation, ethics, industry standards, tender technical requirements, regulatory aspects and project policies
Direct reports: Lead the engineering team of over 10 direct and indirect reports, growing to over 25 direct reports at FID
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Masters degree in engineering in a relevant discipline
- Project delivery experience leading scopes greater than US$500 million.
- Engineering and project management experience, at least 15 years
- Experience of large development and construction projects in the offshore oil and gas or wind industry or onshore utility projects.
- Proven record in QHSE
- Deep knowledge of the fundamentals of execution of complex integrated project.
- Broad knowledge of the abilities of US and European contractors in offshore wind and onshore utilities.
- Experience with US grid laws and regulations is a plus
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment, in a consortium or joint venture.
- Ability to evolve in complex shareholding and partnership arrangements
- Excellent communication, diplomatic, networking and influencing skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and work cooperatively with stakeholders, decision-makers and the press.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including first-rate drafting and editing abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead personnel from diverse groups working toward a common objective or project.
- Very strong collaboration, communication (both oral and written) and interpersonal skills with a customer-oriented focus.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with management and other parts of the project.
- Strong commitment and proven leadership skills.
- Ability to build a high performing and motivated technical team and drive an owner’s engineer
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and make rational decisions, even when under pressure.
- Outstanding communication, diplomatic, networking, influencing and conflict solving skills.
- Ability to take initiative and highly result oriented.
- Strategic and forward thinking.
- Strong sense of values and ethics, as well as confidentiality when dealing with sensitive information.
Physical demands & working conditions:
- Sitting/Standing/Flexibility: Ability to stand and sit for 8 or more hours when in an office environment
- Speech/Reading: Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Lifting: Ability to lift items weighing up to 10 pounds
- Vision/Hearing: Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Safety: Ability to understand and communicate safety precautions when necessary